|Thursday, November 02, 2023||Contact: Andrew Chesser|
|IFHA and ITBF to work together on breeding matters|
The International Federation of Horseracing Authorities (IFHA) and the International Thoroughbred Breeders’ Federation (ITBF) have announced a new collaboration with an eye toward improving the Thoroughbred industry.
Under a recently signed Memorandum of Agreement between the IFHA and the ITBF, the global leaders for Thoroughbred racing and breeding will work together on matters of mutual interest which impact the breeding industry.
Through a dedicated working party of senior officials that represents members’ interests from around the world, the two federations will meet regularly to discuss ideas, share information, provide expert advice, and develop policy on breeding matters.
“This will prove to be a positive development for the future of Thoroughbred breeding and racing globally,” said IFHA Chair Winfried Engelbrecht-Bresges. “Breeding and racing are intertwined in every aspect of the equine value chain, and with the importance of welfare at every stage of a Thoroughbred’s life, it is important that we work together in harmony. I look forward to everything that we can achieve together in the years ahead.”
ITBF Chair Kirsten Rausing said, “ITBF warmly welcomes this collaborative foundation stone between our two organisations, upon which we can build further. A fully functioning working relationship between our inextricably connected industries is the basis for ensuring a secure and successful future for the Thoroughbred breed and the sport of horse racing.”
The IFHA is the global leader for the international sport of Thoroughbred racing, seeking to promote all facets of the worldwide sport; protect the welfare of the equine and human athlete; and protect and grow its global social and economic significance for current and future generations.
Major areas of the IFHA’s activities include:
• Policy development relating to welfare and safety of horses and riders
• International Race Planning and Grading (“black type”)
• World Rankings
• The fight against Equine Prohibited Substances and Practices
• Harmonization of Racing Rules
• Certification of IFHA Reference Labs
• Fostering commercial development of the racing industry globally
The IFHA is a foundation member with Fédération Equestre Internationale (FEI) of the International Horse Sports Confederation and is affiliated to the World Organisation for Animal Health (WOAH).
The ITBF, a not-for-profit organisation, is a federation of 25 Thoroughbred breeding associations from around the world. Its missions are to provide a platform for mutual collaboration and assistance; to address the challenges and opportunities faced by the international Thoroughbred breeding industry; and to act as a liaison body with racing and allied institutions and authorities so that the international Thoroughbred breeding industry is represented and given space on worldwide forums.
Major areas of the ITBF’s activities include:
• Conceived and developed by ITBF, the ICC reporting system continues to be the single most effective worldwide control in the spread of equine disease
• International support and education of members, to benefit their countries’ own industry
• To gather and disseminate globally relevant breeding and veterinary related information
• To be the collective voice of breeders spanning 6 continents
• Provide an opportunity for the global networking of breeders
• A biennial conference for members and their veterinary advisors, hosted by different ITBF nations, with presentations from world-experts in breeding, racing and veterinary science. A first-hand insight into the host nation’s industry is also gained.
• Annual global breeding webinar – attended by approximately 700 industry individuals from 42 countries each January.
|E-Mail : email@example.com|